Family Discussion Questions
My kids know quality time is one of my love languages. I like spending time with the people I love, and I love talking about life with them. Sometimes that’s a challenge for my high school boys who don’t always want to sit and talk…with their mother. Knowing this is important to me, they do their best to occasionally oblige my request and participate in a family discussion at dinner, even when they aren’t “feeling it.” I’ve tried some of the common questions like “What was great about your day?” or “What did you think about the message at church this week?” Often those get tiresome or boring, so I’ve mixed it up a bit and found some new, fun table topics for my team.
Test a few of these and watch how the discussion gets rolling. I usually choose 1-2 questions at dinner. Too many and they become annoyed and refuse to play my game. Generally I choose one that’s lighthearted to get things moving and follow up with something that will promote a discussion in which I can weave nuggets of God’s truth into the conversation. Use your imagination and brainstorm your own list of family questions!
- When you’re 70, would you rather have the mind of a 25 year old or the athletic ability of a 25 year old?
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
- What is something you wish I would do more often?
- If you had an unlimited gift card to any one restaurant, which one would you choose?
- If you could live during one event in the Bible, what would it be?
- What is at least one thing another family member does that makes you feel loved?
- What do you think I like about you?
- For which reality TV show would you be a good contestant?
- Who is the funniest person you know?
- What is your dream job?
- What is the best board game ever made?
- Describe what the conversation might have been among the disciples who saw Peter walk on water.
- What is important to you? Do you think the other people in this family know that?
- If they made a movie about your life, who would play you? What would the movie be titled?